Our Energy Law practitioners provide representation and advice to proponents in planning, structuring and implementing renewable energy projects. Our work also includes advice on transmission projects. Our lawyers represent clients at the Ontario Energy Board on regulatory matters, to the Ministry of Environment on project approvals and to courts and tribunals on appeals and administrative challenges.
We understand the challenges inherent in renewable energy generation for private developers in Ontario. In particular, we have been instrumental in assisting First Nations obtain procurement programs to promote economic development on First Nations lands.
Our involvement with Ontario’s energy demand, supply and conservation planning processes combined with development expertise in this area makes our team unique in its ability to meet client’s needs.
We have a broad range of experience advising and representing proponents, equipment suppliers, land owners and community groups in the following areas:
- Site acquisitions and land leases
- Planning and structuring renewable energy projects on First Nations lands
- Project contracts, such as lease options, development agreements, joint ventures, turbine supply contracts, operation and maintenance agreements and referral arrangements
- Regulatory advocacy and representation on energy policy and regulatory matters for community and industry associations
- Applications for regulatory approvals for energy generation and transmission projects
Some Recent Projects
- Advised various First Nations and community proponents on wind power projects for Ontario
- Advised proponents on various roof top solar project developments
- Advised First Nation Joint Venture partner in construction of a transmission line
- Advised on project development structuring agreements for renewable energy developers
- Advised wind proponents on regulatory compliance and Aboriginal consultation
- Advised community power groups on advocacy roles in sustainability, conservation, demand management and procurement planning
- Negotiated settlement with regulators on behalf of a leading company in the renewable energy voluntary market
- Advised a biomass energy producer on the environmental assessment regulatory compliance requirements under the Electricity Projects Regulation
- Advised major municipality on the development of standard form power purchase agreements in submissions to the Nova Scotia Department of Energy
- Intervened on behalf of a professional engineers’ association in a gas fired energy project in Sarnia, at the leave to construct hearing before the Ontario Energy Board, and before the Ontario Municipal Board
- Intervened on behalf of a consumer group in rates approval hearings and Demand Side Management hearings at the Ontario Energy Board
- Advised biomass supplier on environmental assessment and on Ontario Power Generation’s request for expressions of interest
- Advised on policy and legislative considerations for co-generation pilot projects for adaptive re-use of by-products