Willms & Shier's Northern Team provides expert legal advice on environmental, Aboriginal, energy and resource development matters in Canada's Northern Territories.
John Donihee, one of Canada's foremost experts in environmental, regulatory, administrative and Aboriginal law north of 60º, leads the Northern Team. In June 2014, John Donihee received the Government of the Northwest Territories' "Premier's Award" for collaborative work on new wildlife legislation for the Northwest Territories.
We represent clients ranging from northern Boards and Tribunals, government and industry proponents to Inuit, Inuvialuit and other Aboriginal organizations:
- Northwest Territories – we represent and advise Boards and Tribunals on environmental impact assessment, land and water regulation and wildlife management
- Nunavut – we represent resource developers and Inuit groups on land and resource management, including impact benefit agreements. We appear before environmental and regulatory tribunals on matters relating to mining and other development projects
- Yukon – we advise Aboriginal organizations, environmental tribunals and non-government organizations on the environmental regulatory regime and wildlife management in the Territory
Selected Recent Projects
- Drafted and assisted negotiators on impact benefit agreements addressing major gold mines in Northern Ontario and Nunavut, a diamond mine in Nunavut, major hydro development projects in Northern Ontario and a graphite mine in Northern Ontario
- Represented Inuit and developers in impact assessment and water licensing hearings related to mine development
- Developed water policy for Aboriginal lands and a water compensation policy for the Yukon Water Board