We help clients reach reasonable, practical agreements and avoid wherever possible the high cost and long-term disruption of court proceedings. When recourse to the courts and tribunals is necessary, we are experienced and determined advocates for our clients, focused on each client’s unique circumstances, needs and objectives.
We assist our clients with Aboriginal litigation and dispute resolution including:
- Contaminated Land Litigation—Willms & Shier represents clients in litigation over contaminated land and its impact on Aboriginal rights
- Appeals of Government Decisions—Willms & Shier challenges and appeals government decisions which may not have met the Supreme Court of Canada’s consultation standards
- Defence of Prosecutions—Willms & Shier represents Aboriginal businesses charged with environmental offences
- Neutral facilitation and Mediation—Willms & Shier facilitates the resolution of disputes arising from implementing Impact Benefit Agreements
- Public Inquiries—Willms & Shier was counsel to the expert panel on ensuring safe drinking water on First Nation reserves.