Robert Woon is an associate lawyer, assisting a wide variety of clients with their environmental law and environmental litigation issues. Robert’s background in environmental engineering allows him to bridge the technical aspects of complex environmental matters with the law to provide practical solutions for his clients. Robert is called to the bar of Ontario.
Robert helps clients identify, manage and resolve environmental legal risks and liabilities from the ownership, redevelopment and remediation of brownfields/contaminated sites.
Robert also assists clients with regulatory compliance with federal, provincial, and municipal environmental laws. Robert advises clients on how to comply with regulatory inspections and investigations and minimize the risk of fines, penalties, orders and prosecutions.
- Environmental civil litigation
- Defence of environmental regulatory prosecutions
- Administrative appeals and hearings
Robert assists clients with a broad spectrum of environmental litigation, from prosecuting and defending civil lawsuits with an environmental aspect to appealing approvals and orders issued by environmental regulators to tribunals and administrative bodies, including Ontario’s Environmental Review Tribunal.
Robert also defends clients who are being prosecuted for environmentally related offences under federal, provincial or municipal laws.
Prior Environmental Experience
Robert has a B.Eng. in environmental engineering and graduated from a co-op program, completing 20 months of internships at civil engineering firms.
At Queen’s University, Robert conducted legal research for an environmental non-governmental organization while volunteering with Pro Bono Students Canada. Robert was also the Co-President of the Queen’s University Environmental Law Association and participated in the Willms & Shier Environmental Law Moot in 2013.
- Industrial companies
- Insurers and financial institutions
- Land developers, property owners, landlords and tenants
- Construction sector
- Waste management sector
- Engineering and consulting firms
- Historic Contamination of Property by Dry Cleaners—Providing advice to a strip mall owner about the civil and regulatory risks and liabilities arising from owning property contaminated through a former tenant’s historic dry cleaning operations.
- Successful Resolution of Regulatory Investigation of Industrial Manufacturer—Assisted an industrial manufacturer to respond to a municipality and the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change about potential municipal by-law and provincial law contraventions, allowing the client to continue its operations without any charges being laid.
- Negotiations with Former Tenants about Contamination—Assisting a land developer negotiate with a former tenant without recourse to litigation concerning contamination from the operation of a former gas station.
- Defence of Engineering Firm in a Civil Claim—Assisted an engineering firm defend a civil claim involving the remediation of a brownfield site.
- Defence of Regulatory Prosecution of Environmental Consultant—Assisted an environmental consulting firm to defend provincial offence charges under the Ontario Water Resources Act involving alleged discharges during the repair of a culvert.
- Defence of Regulatory Prosecution of Construction Firm—Assisting a construction firm to defend provincial offence charges under the Ontario Environmental Protection Act involving a gas line strike.
- Contaminant Migration in Industrial Park—Assisting an industrial manufacturer defend a civil claim involving alleged off-site migration of chlorinated solvent contaminants to a neighbouring property.
- Contamination of Public Right-of-Way—Assisted a regional municipality to pursue a civil claim involving the contamination of a public right-of-way by an adjacent gas station.
- Successful Settlement for Transit Authority—Assisted a transit authority to obtain a settlement from an adjacent industrial operator for off-site migration of chlorinated solvent contaminants.