Erin Garbett is an associate lawyer practicing environmental law, environmental litigation and natural resources law. Erin draws upon her past experience in environmental science to understand complex problems that clients encounter and to assist those clients to meet their business and environmental objectives. Erin is called to the bar in Ontario.
Erin assists clients to achieve environmental regulatory compliance and specifically with environmental issues arising from spills, discharges, and soil and groundwater contamination. She advises clients about regulatory inspections and investigations, and how best to minimize the risk of fines, penalties, orders and prosecutions. Erin also provides day-to-day environmental compliance advice.
Erin assists clients in resolving environmental disputes. She advocates for clients in disputes involving environmental civil litigation, regulatory prosecutions and administrative appeals. Erin prosecutes and defends environmental lawsuits. She also defends clients facing municipal, provincial and federal environmental charges.
Prior Environmental Experience
- During university, Erin completed environmental science related cooperative work terms with the City of Guelph, Fisheries and Oceans Canada and a private consulting laboratory
- During law school, Erin participated in Osgoode Hall’s Environmental Justice and Sustainability Clinic and also the Willms & Shier Environmental Law Moot Court Competition
- Industrial businesses
- Land developers and property owners
- Commercial landlords and tenants
- Conservation authorities
- Environmental boards and tribunals
- Municipality’s Purchase of Harbour—Assisted a small municipality in assessing environmental risks associated with its purchase of a harbour
- Environmental Risk Management—Assisted a property developer with ongoing environmental investigations to assess contamination. Advised the developer about its exposure to environmental civil and regulatory liabilities
- Stormwater Management—Assisted a manufacturing company to determine its exposure to environmental risks and liabilities under the Ontario Water Resources Act associated with storm water run-off from its property
- Waste Management—Advised a company about managing environmental risks and liabilities associated with hazardous waste in various jurisdictions
- Appeal of Order to Environmental Review Tribunal—Assisted a manufacturer that was issued a Director’s Order under Ontario’s Environmental Protection Act and to appeal the Order to the Environmental Review Tribunal where the manufacturer was eventually obliged to undertake a scoped remediation of PCBs in a watercourse
- Defence of Business Owners in a Civil Claim—Defended a group of business owners from a civil claim involving soil and groundwater contamination at a neighbouring property
- Claim Against Company and Insurer—Assisted individual homeowners to recover damages against a company and its insurer for adverse health impacts and other damages associated with contamination
- Canadian Bar Association—member
- Ontario Bar Association—member