Carl McKay is Counsel providing corporate and commercial law support to Willms & Shier’s Energy and Natural Resources, Aboriginal and Northern Practice Areas. Carl is called to the Bar in Ontario and Nunavut.
Carl assists natural resource proponents, Aboriginal clients and clean technology companies with corporate and commercial law matters.
Natural Resource and Renewable Energy Projects
Carl helps industry proponents plan, structure and implement their natural resource and renewable energy projects. Carl has assisted with corporate and commercial aspects of mining, exploration and development projects. He has also assisted clients with their investment in hydroelectric projects.
He assists with the formation and structuring of joint ventures between Aboriginal and industry clients.
Aboriginal Economic Development
Carl assists Aboriginal groups with building capacity for economic development:
- Economic development strategic planning
- Incorporation, by-laws and corporate governance
- Developing and structuring First Nations and industry joint ventures, limited partnerships and First Nations economic development corporations
- Private equity investments for First Nations projects
- Growth opportunities through resource development
- Renewable energy and infrastructure financing and development.
- Industrial companies
- Aboriginal communities
- Inuit and Inuvialuit organizations
- Mining and exploration sector
- Renewable energy sector
- Agreements Between Inuit and Mining Company—Assisting an Inuit association in Nunavut with the negotiation of innovative long term land tenure and production agreements with a mining company.
- Acquisition of Interests in Mining Claims—Assisting a junior mining company with the acquisition of interests in mining claims in the Larder lake Mining Division pursuant to an exploration and option to purchase agreement.
First Nation Joint Ventures
- Industry-First Nation Joint Venture—Assisting an Ontario metal fabricating and services company with the development of a joint venture with a First Nation corporation to provide services at a mining operation in the North West Territories.
- Aboriginal Joint Venture for FIT Projects—Assisting a First Nation economic development corporation enter into a joint venture with a major solar development company for the design, construction and operation of a portfolio of rooftop solar projects under the Ontario Power Authority’s Feed-in Tariff Program.
- Energy Performance Contract for University—Developing request for qualifications and request for proposals for a Canadian university seeking proponents to enter into an energy performance contract to carry out major energy and water conservation measures at its two campuses.