Anand Srivastava is an associate lawyer with expertise in assisting a broad range of clients with environmental law and litigation issues. Anand draws on his science background to facilitate practical solutions to complex environmental legal issues. Anand is called to the bar of Ontario.
Anand provides advice to clients about environmental regulatory obligations and provides solutions to help clients minimize liability and to identify sources of recovery including environmental insurance.
- Environmental civil litigation
- Defence of environmental regulatory prosecutions
- Administrative appeals and hearings
Anand represents clients in environmental civil litigation, defence of environmental regulatory prosecutions and administrative appeals and hearings. He prosecutes and defends environmental lawsuits. He defends clients charged with municipal, provincial or federal environmental violations. He appeals Ministry Orders and Approvals to the Environmental Review Tribunal.
Prior Environmental and Aboriginal Experience
Anand holds an Honours Bachelor of Science with a subject of specialization in Environmental Toxicology from Queen's University. Anand has worked as an Environmental Projects Administrator with the Government of Canada and was also previously self-employed as a consultant in ecotoxicology.
Before joining Willms & Shier, Anand worked at an Aboriginal law firm in Vancouver and focused on Aboriginal rights litigation, Aboriginal title litigation and the preparation and negotiation of Specific Claims.
- Industrial and Manufacturing Companies
- Insurers and financial institutions
- Land developers, property owners, landlords and tenants
- Transit authorities
- Mining and exploration sector
- Dry cleaning owners and operators
- Aboriginal, Inuit and Métis communities
- Manufacture and Use of an Alternative Fuel—Assisted an entrepreneur to understand the environmental regulatory obligations for the manufacture and use of an alternative motive fuel in Ontario.
- Regulatory Approvals for Transit Authority—Advised a transit authority about all required environmental approvals and permits for constructing and operating a bus garage.
Contaminated Land and Environmental Risk Management
Contamination of Property by Dry Cleaner—Represented a property owner whose property was contaminated by chlorinated solvents from a neighbouring dry cleaner. Achieved a global resolution with all litigants to remediate the property and minimize our client's environmental risk in the future.
Defence of Prosecution of Construction Business—Assisted a construction company to defend provincial offence charges under the Environmental Protection Act and Ontario Water Resources Act alleging discharges from a construction site.
Appeal of Order to Environmental Review Tribunal—Represented a group of property owners who were issued an Order under the Environmental Protection Act to clean up historic contamination. Assisted the clients in reaching a negotiated resolution with the regulator.
- Agreement of Purchase and Sale—Advised a property owner about environmental risk and liability allocation in an agreement of purchase and sale using indemnities and releases.
- Pre-Purchase Due Diligence—Reviewed available Environmental Site Assessments and advised a potential purchaser about contaminated property and risks, liabilities and obligations.
- Environmental Risk Management—Assisted a property developer with on-going environmental investigations to determine potential contamination. Advised the developer of potential environmental civil and regulatory liabilities associated with contaminated sites.
Environmental Insurance Coverage
- Insurer Coverage Opinion for Mining Incident—Assisted an insurer to evaluate a claim from an insured by providing an opinion about available coverages, exclusions and policy conditions.
- Insured Coverage Opinion for Migrating Contamination—Advised an insured about applicable coverage for the cost of environmental remediation work at its property and downgradient properties.