Alessia Petricone-Westwood is an associate lawyer practicing in the areas of environmental law and environmental litigation. Alessia has extensive experience with all aspects of civil litigation.
Alessia joins Willms & Shier Environmental Lawyers in our firm’s Toronto office as a litigation lawyer. Prior to our firm, Alessia litigated a wide range of civil litigation matters at a leading law firm in Ottawa since her call to the bar in 2015.
Alessia obtained her law degree at the University of Ottawa, finishing in the top ten of her class. While in law school, Alessia was heavily involved with the University of Ottawa Community Legal Clinic. She has also acted as a mentor with the Women’s Legal Mentorship Program.
Alessia has appeared before administrative tribunals and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Alessia was drawn to the practice of law to be an advocate. She enjoys the problem-solving aspect of law, and the challenge of thoughtfully and effectively resolving issues. She advocates environmental matters for clients as follows (i) environmental civil litigation, (ii) administrative appeals of environmental orders and approvals, and (ii) defence of environmental prosecutions.
- Industrial companies
- Insurers and financial institutions
- Land developers, property owners, landlords, and tenants
- Construction companies
- Waste management companies
- Engineering and consulting firms
- Defence of Garage Owner in Civil Claim—With co-counsel, successfully defended a garage owner in a four-day civil trial involving alleged damages associated with an accident at the garage owner’s property.
- Representation of Individuals in Civil Claims—Assisted individuals who sustained damages following motor vehicle accidents, including (i) preparing written submissions to an administrative tribunal that resulted in a precedent-setting decision about the retrospective application of statutory accident benefits legislation, and (ii) preparing motions for production of documents.
- Defence of Construction Company in Civil Claim—Assisted a construction company to defend a civil claim involving alleged damages associated with a construction project, which included the preparation and exchange of all pleadings and running examinations for discovery.
- Defence of Snow Removal Company in Civil Claim—Assisted a snow removal company to defend a civil claim involving alleged damages following a slip and fall, which included preparing a mediation brief and attending mediation with co-counsel.
- Representation of School Board in Civil Claim—Assisted a school board to defend a civil claim involving alleged damages associated with a sporting event, which included preparing materials for a summary judgment motion to strike the claim based on an expired limitation period.
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)—member
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA)—member
- The Advocates' Society—member
February 25, 2021
February 24, 2021
October 28, 2020
March 18, 2020
April 20, 2020 to April 21, 2020
March 24, 2020
November 26, 2019